Difference between revisions of "WormBase-Caltech Weekly Calls"

From WormBaseWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
(254 intermediate revisions by 8 users not shown)
Line 18: Line 18:
  
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2018|2018 Meetings]]
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2018|2018 Meetings]]
 +
 +
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2019|2019 Meetings]]
  
  
 
GoToMeeting link: https://www.gotomeet.me/wormbase1
 
GoToMeeting link: https://www.gotomeet.me/wormbase1
  
 +
= 2020 Meetings =
  
= 2019 Meetings =
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_January_2020|January]]
 
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_January_2019|January]]
 
 
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_February_2019|February]]
 
 
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_March_2019|March]]
 
 
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_April_2019|April]]
 
 
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_May_2019|May]]
 
  
  
== June 6, 2019 ==
+
== February 6, 2020 ==
  
=== New SObA graphs ===
+
=== Worcester Area Worm Meeting talk ===
* May put graphs within existing widgets, but don't need to rush to get that ready for IWM
+
* Confirmed for December 2020 or February 2021
  
=== Phenotype association file format ===
+
=== Alaska software ===
* May be best to leave the format as is
+
* Code developed and maintained by Joseph, but not long term solution
* There are problems; paper IDs keep switching columns
+
* Raymond and Eduardo talked about taking it over
* Would need to revisit the reasoning for why we do it that way
+
* Why have a web application vs. a command-line application?
* When will the Alliance produce a similar/replacement file? Not sure
+
** Wanted to make it easy, but also to capture meta data for WB
 +
* Should/will find out from Joseph about how hard it is to maintain the software
 +
* Maybe it could be taken over by Alliance, as RNA-Seq/Microarray meta data are getting harmonized
 +
* Expression working group working with Brian Oliver to have GEO take in more structured meta data
 +
* Array Express tried requiring more structured meta data, but authors stopped submitting
 +
* May be possible to build a form that collects meta data while simultaneously submitting to GEO in parallel
  
=== Phenotype requests ===
 
* Sent out 1140 emails on May 30
 
* Since have received 374 annotations from 54 papers (42 requested, 12 additional)
 
* 21 papers flagged as not having phenotypes
 
* Of 1140 papers emailed about, 35 emails bounced, and have received some flagging or curation on 63 (63/1105 = ~6% response rate), in first week
 
  
 +
== February 13, 2020 ==
  
== June 13, 2019 ==
+
=== Alliance Literature Group ===
 +
* Held first meeting on Monday, February 10th
 +
* Regular meetings will be on Tuesdays at 10am/1pm/6pm
 +
* Representatives from each group will give a brief overview of their literature pipelines before the group gets into details about deliverables
 +
* Question about centralized paper repository; group needs guidance from Alliance PIs on how to proceed
  
=== IWM ===
+
=== ?Genotype class model ===
* Coordinating transportation of swag boxes to Pauley Pavilion
+
* [https://docs.google.com/document/d/19hP9r6BpPW3FSAeC_67FNyNq58NGp4eaXBT42Ch3gDE/edit?pli=1#bookmark=id.7r3e8pg19rd8 Proposal]
* Workshop on Saturday June 22, from 1pm to 2:30pm
+
* Can aim to implement for WS277 but may have to wait until WS278
* Saturday morning micropublication breakfast 7:30 - 8:30am
 
* Workshop
 
** Presenters: it may be best to present as use cases rather than a research project
 
** Chris will cover SimpleMine for Wen
 
** Chris: won't do live demo; only screenshots, maybe some video
 
* Paul's lab will do marathon bibs to show lab affiliation and graphical abstract
 
* Paul's talk
 
** Cover Alliance
 
** New features
 
*** SObA (for new data)
 
*** Complete for protein-protein interactions
 
*** RNASeq tools
 
*** Updated automated gene concise descriptions?
 
** Phenotype community curation
 
*** Chris will send Paul numbers on: top community curators, overall stats (number of annotations, papers, curators)
 
** Author First Pass
 
** Micropublication
 
  
=== SGD SAB ===
+
=== Genotype OA ===
* Paul attended
+
* Will put documentation [[Genotype|here]]
* Alliance publicity was discussed
 
* SAB likes the Alliance orthology features
 
* Working on topics: displaying papers and data
 
* Pathways: discussion about best approach
 
* Metabolic engineering
 
* Meta data about RNASeq data
 
** SPELL tool, basically only tool of its kind available; need new tools
 
* Species-specific proteins: how best to find them? HMMs (Jackhammer)?
 
  
=== Concise descriptions ===
+
=== WB All-Hands Meeting ===
* Progress being made within the Alliance to update the automated concise gene descriptions
+
* [https://doodle.com/poll/7f65p4ba6d88ztzt Doodle poll]
* We will still accept manually written descriptions and display them in parallel with automated descriptions
+
* Any thoughts at this point?  Still need to discuss with Hinxton, Toronto.
  
=== Micropublications ===
 
* If people are requesting manually written gene descriptions, they could submit a microreview
 
* Concern was expressed about how to handle a really high throughput of submissions:
 
** Daniela: Working towards automating as much of the processing pipeline as possible
 
** Raymond: The throughput will be handled appropriately depending on demand; priority scheme will help
 
** Not getting lots of submissions yet, probably won't be inundated in the near future
 
** Karen: tools are still being developed; the platform is not being advertised as much as it could be; will ramp up outreach and communication once tools are in place to handle more submissions
 
* Karen: Micropublications team will reach out to curators to help build submission forms for respective data types
 
  
=== Undiagnosed Disease Network data ===
+
== February 20, 2020 ==
* Andy Golden will meet with Ranjana and Chris at IWM to discuss
 
* Andy asked about protocol pages at WormBase?
 
* Paul: Bioprotocols and Protocols IO
 
* Maybe we could interface with those existing resources to link to relevant protocols from WormBase (and WormBook)
 
  
==June 27th, 2019==
+
=== Genotype ===
===IWM 2019===
+
* We will equate superficially similar/identical genotypes for now
*Impressions, analysis, feedback from Users etc etc
+
* What if labs sequence strains later and find out more?
 +
* Labs will have to report strains and their sequence and we back-curate accordingly
  
===Giving disease model annotations a stable identifier===
+
=== VC2010 assembly genes ===
*Currently disease model annotations get a temporary ID at the time of dump,
+
* WormMine now returning double the gene count for C. elegans genes because of incorporation of newest VC2010 assembly
<pre style="white-space: pre-wrap;
+
* How to best handle these "extra" genes?
white-space: -moz-pre-wrap;
+
* We could make different species entries that specify the assembly version
white-space: -pre-wrap;
 
white-space: -o-pre-wrap;
 
word-wrap: break-word">
 
Disease_model_annotation : "00000004"
 
Disease_term "DOID:0050833"
 
Disease_of_species "Homo sapiens"
 
Variation "WBVar00275555"
 
Disease_relevant_gene "WBGene00011559"
 
Inferred_gene "WBGene00011559"
 
Association_type "is_implicated_in"
 
Evidence_code "IMP"
 
Genetic_sex "hermaphrodite"
 
Paper_evidence "WBPaper00035924"
 
Database "OMIM" "gene" "613891 "
 
Database "OMIM" "disease" "258900"
 
Curator_confirmed "WBPerson324"
 
Date_last_updated "2017-04-24"
 
</pre>
 
*Would like to institute stable identifiers across releases, so the plan is to call these objects, 'WBDisease_annotation:<number>', so then the above identifier would become 'WBDisease_annotation:00000004', or 'WBDiseaseannot:00000004' or 'WBDiseaseAnnot:00000004'
 
*ID convention--is underscore allowed?
 
*Is 'WBDisease_annotation:00000004' too long for acedb?
 

Latest revision as of 17:37, 20 February 2020

Previous Years

2009 Meetings

2011 Meetings

2012 Meetings

2013 Meetings

2014 Meetings

2015 Meetings

2016 Meetings

2017 Meetings

2018 Meetings

2019 Meetings


GoToMeeting link: https://www.gotomeet.me/wormbase1

2020 Meetings

January


February 6, 2020

Worcester Area Worm Meeting talk

  • Confirmed for December 2020 or February 2021

Alaska software

  • Code developed and maintained by Joseph, but not long term solution
  • Raymond and Eduardo talked about taking it over
  • Why have a web application vs. a command-line application?
    • Wanted to make it easy, but also to capture meta data for WB
  • Should/will find out from Joseph about how hard it is to maintain the software
  • Maybe it could be taken over by Alliance, as RNA-Seq/Microarray meta data are getting harmonized
  • Expression working group working with Brian Oliver to have GEO take in more structured meta data
  • Array Express tried requiring more structured meta data, but authors stopped submitting
  • May be possible to build a form that collects meta data while simultaneously submitting to GEO in parallel


February 13, 2020

Alliance Literature Group

  • Held first meeting on Monday, February 10th
  • Regular meetings will be on Tuesdays at 10am/1pm/6pm
  • Representatives from each group will give a brief overview of their literature pipelines before the group gets into details about deliverables
  • Question about centralized paper repository; group needs guidance from Alliance PIs on how to proceed

?Genotype class model

  • Proposal
  • Can aim to implement for WS277 but may have to wait until WS278

Genotype OA

  • Will put documentation here

WB All-Hands Meeting

  • Doodle poll
  • Any thoughts at this point? Still need to discuss with Hinxton, Toronto.


February 20, 2020

Genotype

  • We will equate superficially similar/identical genotypes for now
  • What if labs sequence strains later and find out more?
  • Labs will have to report strains and their sequence and we back-curate accordingly

VC2010 assembly genes

  • WormMine now returning double the gene count for C. elegans genes because of incorporation of newest VC2010 assembly
  • How to best handle these "extra" genes?
  • We could make different species entries that specify the assembly version