WormBase-Caltech Weekly Calls
From WormBaseWikiJump to navigationJump to search
- 1 Previous Years
- 2 2020 Meetings
October 1, 2020
Gene association file formats on FTP
- For example, current production release ONTOLOGY directory: ftp://ftp.wormbase.org/pub/wormbase/releases/current-production-release/ONTOLOGY/
- Our association files have format "*.wb"; is this useful or necessary?
- Other than referring to GAF in the header, it isn't clear to users what the columns refer to or what the column headers should be
- We could add a README file and/or convert to the new GAF 2.2 format which would have a more expressive file header and possibly column headers(?)
- File headers could possibly link to the format specification page
Phenotype association file idiosyncrasy
- As we've discussed previously, there is an oddity to how the phenotype association file we provide lists, or doesn't, references
- According to the GAF spec, column 6 is for reference and is required, whereas column 8 is "With (or) From" and is optional
- When we have a reference, the WBPaper ID is provided in column 6 and the WBVar ID or RNAi ID is provided in column 8
- However, when we have no reference (personal communication, e.g. from NBP allele submissions), the WBVar ID is instead put in column 6 (because we need something there), and column 8 is blank.
- This results in (1) column 6 having a mix of paper/reference IDs (good) and WBVar IDs (not good) and (2) WBVar IDs split between column 6 and 8; thus making it tedious to parse this file
- Proposed solution: Can we come up with some type of reference object ID to associate to the personal communications (or any annotations currently lacking a formal reference)?
- With the proposed solution, we can always have a reference ID in column 6 (the intended purpose of the column) and WBVar IDs for alleles can always remain consistently in column 8
- Proposal is to put WBPerson IDs in column 6 for personal communications. Chris & Karen will check if this will work.
Server space in Chen Building
- It looks like that we will not have a specific space for server computers.
October 8, 2020
- Here is the live registration site: http://tazendra.caltech.edu/~azurebrd/cgi-bin/forms/webinar.cgi
- Caltech zoom allows 300 attendees.
Descriptions from GO-CAM models
- One suggestion for the Alliance is to create a description based on a GO-CAM model
- Could also micropublish some descriptions (semi-automated?)
- Can make curators authors of micropublications for GO-CAM models/pathways
Transcription Factors in WormBase
- WormBase has a ?Transcription_factor class that is currently underutilized
- Chris spoke with Gary Williams about the status as he has done much of the work on the class
- Because transcription factors can often be complexes, it was decided to create the ?Transcription_factor class rather than simply an extension of tags to the existing ?Gene class
- The class seems reasonable complete; it's important to note that some TFs are general transcription factors, not necessarily gene-specific or sequence-specific DNA-binding TFs; it will be good to make that distinction clear to users
- Chris has compiled a Google sheet to assess the class before Gary W. leaves WB in the next couple of weeks