WormBase-Caltech Weekly Calls August 2021
From WormBaseWikiJump to navigationJump to search
August 5, 2021
Proxy issue resolved
- Not clear what the problem was, but Sibyl transferred to new machine and now it works
- Could be a firewall issue somewhere but it isn't clear
- Michael ordered hard drive
- Working on transfer
- Do we need more backup? Have partial backup on AWS; will make complete
August 12, 2021
CeNGEN graph on gene pages
- We would like to show an expression level graph on each gene page. CeNGEN prefers something similar to what we have for FPKM expression.
- Sibyl drafted a prototype that is 2D so that it solves the issue of fitting into one page width while making highly expressing cells prominent.
August 19, 2021
Caltech hosted CGIs
- Caltech IMSS is blocking some WB IP addresses likely from nefarious actors on AWS, thereby breaking WB links to Caltech-hosted CGIs
- Although WB uses dedicated AWS IPs, those some how still got on a black list.
- The ultimate solution is to move all services answering WB queries to AWS, so there is no extr-AWS network traffic.
- Could non-SObA CGIs move to different servers (AWS?)?
- SObA is resource intensive when new releases are being built but otherwise memory requirements can be tuned (affecting caching) for serving queries. We can use a local machine for building a release and then transfer the built database to a live machine in the cloud. This approach also alleviates some sysadmin load for Caltech.
August 26, 2021
New Wormicloud features
- Clustering similar words in word clouds
- Counter with the number of objects already curated by WB for papers returned by searches