WormBase-Caltech Weekly Calls

From WormBaseWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Previous Years

2009 Meetings

2011 Meetings

2012 Meetings

2013 Meetings

2014 Meetings

2015 Meetings

2016 Meetings





May 5, 2015

Tissue enrichment tool

  • Some slight modifications have been made
  • Raymond/Juancarlos request testing
  • Made adjustments to gene name handling
  • Tool could go live for the next release
  • Data will remain frozen at WS252

Gene summaries

  • Paul asked Norbert about gene descriptions
  • FB has been getting good community response for contributing gene descriptions
  • Automation still sounds like the right way to go
  • Ranjana will look at summaries at other MOD sites

Phenotype display

  • MGI/MGD had a graph display of phenotype ontology (Paul S.)
  • Made phenotype ontology slim for the summary heatmaps
  • How do all of the MODs display phenotypes?

Progress reports

  • Curators can write a paragraph on innovation
    • Community curation (report numbers)
    • WOBr
    • SObA
    • Automated descriptions
    • Micropublications

Curation pipeline comparisons

  • Would be nice to compare how MODs prioritize curation, triage papers, etc.
  • How many MODs curate paper-by-paper (for all datatypes at once) vs. our method, by datatype?
    • WB & MGI curate by datatype, most others by paper (for all datatypes)
  • How are all MODs doing in terms of paper coverage?
    • Do we need more manual effort, more automation? How much, given cost of each?


  • SGD uses SPELL but does not develop

May 12, 2016

Communication tools for umod teams

  • Mike Cherry set up Stanford umod-project- email lists for the different umod groups, PIs, software developers, and curators
  • Slack is back, download the app and look umod-project. You can also visit https://umod-project.slack.com/.
    • Browse the channels and join the ones that you want.
    • Create any new channel, it seems there is no limit to the channels that can be created.
  • Suzi Lewis will be setting up a github account for project tracking and wiki pages

Human Disease working group meeting

  • Next Monday and Tuesday, in Kerckhoff 024
  • Curators will review data models for human disease at each site
  • Brainstorming session for future plans
  • Possibility of molecule-disease interactions ("exacerbated by", "ameliorated by")


  • Wen came across metabolic profiling papers while looking for proteomics papers
  • Wen will send to Karen, who is managing metabolites as part of molecule class
  • BIGG database, a new metabolite database (http://bigg.ucsd.edu/)

Progress Report

  • Send Paul progress report blurbs in next week (by Thursday)

Cross MOD call

  • Reviewed FlyBase and Rat Genome Database this week
  • Will review SGD and MGI next week
  • Suzi Lewis asking about Intermine instances; what can Mine do that the Base cannot, and vice versa?
  • Other MODs have more fully functional and fully populated InterMine instances
  • Agenda and Minutes: http://bit.ly/1NXuBVD
  • Schedule and Topic signup: http://bit.ly/243UNL2



  • BioCADDIE developers are currently working on indexing datasets requested by the NIH for inclusion in a June 30 Prototype test. After then they will reach out to us to look into the WormData (micropublication) indexing.

May 19, 2016

Dead genes in FraqMine?

  • User asked for gene IDs for dead genes from list of sequence IDs
  • FraqMine/SimpleMine does not currently accept/return dead genes
  • Juancarlos will make changes to script to add an additional column indicating that a gene is dead, after Wen changes the source files to include the data

Community curation request delay

  • Currently we wait 3 months before sending additonal community curation requests to authors
  • Considering making delay only 1 month or less; opinions?
  • Most annotations come within a week of a request
  • One month is probably good
  • Should we send list of alleles to lab heads with annotated phenotypes?
  • Show community curated alleles/annotations on WB homepage?
  • Show top 20 community curators on WB homepages?
  • Make use of the "Activity" widget on homepage? Replace random page with community contributions?

Citace upload

  • June 28th, 10am

uMOD Phenotype call

Distinctions between Human Disease curation and Phenotype curation?

  • WB and other MODs have been curating phenotype and human disease separately
  • Some consider phenotypes and disease as the same (Monarch perspective)
  • We should consider the extent to which these overlap and are distinct

Human Disease meeting

  • People are looking for commonalities
  • Disease Ontology is a good starting point of commonality
  • Agreement to curate experimental models
  • UMOD Disease portal: search for a gene and get links to each individual MOD
  • DBs should serve a disease data file
    • WB has gene-disease association file
  • Sources of disease files: OMIM, Medic(?), etc.
  • MIM-to-gene file
  • Query tools: what should they look like? What kind of results?
    • Simple table views as results
  • UMOD disease detail report page ideas
  • Want to consider relations to molecules/chemicals ("modifiers")
    • Exacerbates, ameliorates, is a therapeutic for
  • Drug-induced models
  • Disease strains/genotypes, how to handle
  • Should disease curation expand to capturing alleles/genotypes/strains?
    • We can, going forward

Objectifying Genotypes

  • Increasingly, we are encountering needs to objectify genotypes
  • We have strain objects, although strains are not always specified in papers
  • We could potentially create strain objects that are named according to a paper ID
  • This would enable us to capture certain phenotype and genetic interaction annotations
  • We need to consider a strain's phenotype in relation to a control strain
  • We already annotate phenotypes to transgenes while specifying the gene (in the transgene) that causes the phenotype
  • It will be good for WB cuartors to hear from other MODs about how they handle this
  • We can reconvene after today's phenotype call and focus on this discussion for future cross-MOD calls