Difference between revisions of "WormBase-Caltech Weekly Calls"

From WormBaseWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
(217 intermediate revisions by 11 users not shown)
Line 23: Line 23:
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2020|2020 Meetings]]
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2020|2020 Meetings]]
  
= 2021 Meetings =
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2021|2021 Meetings]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_January_2021|January]]
+
= 2022 Meetings =
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_February_2021|February]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_January_2022|January]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_March_2021|March]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_February_2022|February]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_April_2021|April]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_March_2022|March]]
  
== May 27, 2021 ==
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_April_2022|April]]
  
=== Single cell ===
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_May_2022|May]]
* Eduardo and Valerio will give an update on single cell analysis and visualization tools
 
  
  
== May 13, 2021 ==
+
= December 1st, 2022 =
 +
== Data Type Flagging Pipelines and Alliance Infrastructure ==
 +
*We currently run the neural network algorithms at Caltech
 +
*What will we need to do to transition this to run on Alliance infrastructure?
 +
*Can we start to run the neural networks on a more frequent basis, e.g. monthly? Could that be automated?
  
=== Textpresso supplement ===
+
= November 17th, 2022 =
* Due Monday
+
*TEC_RED meeting. Meeting with Nikita Jahveri, Wouter Van de Berg (Gupta's lab). Participants, Valerio, Daniela, Kimberly, Magda, Stavros.
* Michael working with Paul S
+
identified a large number of operons in C Briggsae. Baghwathi Gupta's lab. 4200 Briggsae genes identified with SL influencers. Want to contribute the information in WormBase.
 +
* Used WS279 for the annotations
 +
* they have excel  documents with the location in the supplementary files
 +
* Magda: are the tag sequences unique? Nikita: yes. If they bind to 2 ore more genes that have classified as paralogs
 +
* Also  identified isoforms (multiple transcripts tab in the spreadsheet)
  
=== AWS credits ===
+
** Steps forward: need to update the gene models and the operon models on WormBase.
* Michael and Valerio were awarded AWS credits, more than they can use
+
* Can bring in data in different tracks.
* Maybe they can be repurposed
+
* Need to update gene models based on this new evidence
* Valerio will play around with AWS to determine the best/cheapest configuration before migrating to the Alliance
+
* Nikita will send the data to Magda and Stavros (3 spreadsheets). Need to write out the categories.
 +
* they did not produce  the GFF file, all in excel sheets.
 +
* Material used: mixed stage worm population
  
=== Automated gene descriptions ===
+
they have excel  documents with the location
* Will the Alliance ever accommodate non-elegans worm species? Can we port over the computed/derived descriptions for non-elegans species to the Alliance?
 
* Maybe have clade-specific descriptions based on the popular model (worms based on C. elegans); may be provided in MOD portal page(s)
 
* May be the focus of an Alliance supplement
 
* We want a flexible pipeline that can be configured depending on availability of data (e.g. protein domains)
 
  
=== IWM 2021 WB Workshop ===
+
= November 3rd, 2022 =
* Scheduled for June 22, 2021
+
* Booth at IWM
* Session begins at 8:30am Pacific / 11:30am Eastern / 4:30pm UK
+
** ACKnowledge will be showcased at the WB booth
* Workshop runs for 90 minutes: 4 15-minute talks followed by 30 minute Q&A session
+
** Will also advertise Alliance
* Here is the submitted workshop schedule:
 
11:30 am (EDT) Magdalena Zarowiecki, EMBL-EBI, A whistle-stop tour of all the types of data you can find in WormBase
 
11:45 am (EDT) Chris Grove, California Institute of Technology, Researching transcriptional regulation using WormBase transcription factors, TF binding sites and the modENCODE data
 
12:00 pm (EDT) Ranjana Kishore, California Institute of Technology, Comparative genomics and disease research using Alliance of Genome Resources
 
12:15 pm (EDT) Daniela Raciti, California Institute of Technology, How can you contribute? Community curation and tools, and the author-first-pass (AFP) pipeline
 
12:30 pm (EDT) Chris Grove, California Institute of Technology, Open Discussion / Q & A
 
  
 +
= October 27, 2022 =
  
== May 20, 2021 ==
+
= October 6th, 2022 =  
  
=== Ontology updates in OA ===
+
== Mangolassi ==
* ODK pipeline is not updating the "date" line in OBO artifacts and thus the ontology is not updating
+
* Mangolassi is down (network only?); Michael will be in the office in an hour
* Need to remove the "date" from the anatomy ontology OBO file header and let the OA script use the "data-version" line instead
+
** Start a cronjob to check for network connections? Already set up (Raymond)
* Life stage still has "date"; Chris will investigate if there are update issues for life stage
+
** Michael can log into his machine; Tazendra is OK (so, not network issue?)
* Juancarlos has updated the GO URIs from Kimberly's suggestions; use monthly release URI or ~daily snapshot URIs?
+
** Michael fixed it by unplugging and reconnecting ethernet cable (network card issue)
** Should probably go with daily snapshots for curation purposes (frequent updating for new/deprecated terms)
 
  
=== OA updates for UTF-8 ===
+
== GO meeting next week ==
* Daniela and Juancarlos have updated OA dumpers (antibody, expression, picture, movie) accordingly
+
* 7am - 11am PDT
* Others need to be updated:
+
* Zoom channel? Available on GO meeting agenda page:
** Chris will help with Interaction OA, GeneReg OA, Phenotype OA, RNAi OA
+
** https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YdM-RRosNJh1i4w4MLCF5lGfRrFIv7EqyNhEQD_QL0M
** Ranjana will help with Disease, Genotype and Concise OAs
 
** Karen will help with Construct, Transgene, Topic, Molecule OAs
 
* Anatomy function form (Valerio wrote) writes to Postgres; need some updates
 
  
=== Student Internship ===
+
== Alliance Literature working group ==
* Student will work with Raymond, Kimberly to do anatomy function & Noctua/GO-CAM curation on dauer development
+
* Subgroups; Ranjana interested in joining the search subgroup
* To do anatomy function curation in Noctua, requirements will need to be written out and addressed
+
* Can sign up on the lit group page
* Can the anatomy function form write directly into Noctua (eventually)?
+
** https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hB6cft0J_DaapQ9uHUGXwbqrnsZs7wORoepQicLdhTk/edit?pli=1#bookmark=id.butj0rfl4zh1
  
=== AI-readiness supplement ===
+
== Persons ==
* Valerio looking into AI-ready format input
+
* Are there more use cases to collect?
* Looking into applying to neural circuits
+
* Some existing use cases:
 +
** ACKnowledge attribution
 +
** Community phenotype curators
 +
** When do people need person IDs? When accessing/using some forms
 +
* Content of earlier email
 +
** When someone asks for a CGC Lab code, they must have a WBPerson ID.  To fill out some tazendra forms, I think they need a WBPerson ID.  To connect Persons to Laboratories for their WB lab page.  To track who is a PI for which Lab.  To connect to other Persons for Intellectual Lineage.  Connect authors to Persons so Papers have a list of authors in publication order, each author linked to the Person (ZFIN has two lists, sorted for authors, separate for persons).  Our users tell us they use the WB Person page for their cv.
 +
** Use of Person Contact information: I think our use case for person information is mostly to have current emails for community outreach (ACKnowledge, community phenotype forms).  It's been used in the past to send letters to PIs, so we could prioritize maintaining more information just for PIs.  Some analysis is sometimes done by region / country, but this is rare.  If anyone can think of other use cases for person data, please let us know. While we mostly only use the email addresses, Cecilia uses address / webpage / ORCID to connect authors to Persons, so having that data is important to make more connections.
 +
* Knowing address and affiliation can help disambiguate similarly named persons/authors
 +
* Questions about ethics of tracking information and person lineage?
 +
** Not really a new issue; people present CVs on grants and other contexts
 +
** Can be problematic to display people's email address and physical address, from a security perspective
 +
** Email addresses: if someone has a strain/reagent not in a repository, can be helpful to connect to access materials
 +
** We and others provide email addresses in publications
 +
** We don't currently ask for permission to display the information (email, address, etc.); maybe we should?
 +
** Should we have a survey to ask users' opinions about displaying this information? Is it worthwhile? Concerning?
 +
** Should we provide a waiver that people agree their information will be in the public domain?
 +
** Person form disclaimer: "Note: Phone and fax information won't show in your Person report for privacy reasons, but we are collecting the information in case we need to contact you. We keep old email, old institution, and old registered_lab data for history, please don't remove it when updating your information."
 +
** Person form is available to public and displays personal information, e.g.: http://tazendra.caltech.edu/~azurebrd/cgi-bin/forms/person.cgi?action=Display&number=WBPerson51134
 +
*** Could someone scrape this information? Yes, person information is available from WB database dumps
 +
** Could institute a login; we had wanted to keep the barrier to participate low
 +
** Have 3 forms of privacy, where people can opt out of emails, hide their email address, or hide more information.  If hidden it stays in Caltech postgres, and doesn't go to acedb.
 +
* Going forward, the Alliance can implement better security for person information
 +
 
 +
= Aug 25th, 2022=  
 +
* Phosphoproteomic dataset
 +
* WB grant - the new and radically different format for a “Biomedical Knowledgebase (U24 - Clinical Trials Not Allowed)” application
 +
*
 +
*
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
= Aug 18th, 2022=
 +
* Raymond reporting on meeting with Scott Emmons and neural connectivity data
 +
 
 +
= Aug 11th, 2022 =
 +
 
 +
Secondary species information content.
 +
* Gone through and counted number of objects in different data classes for all species
 +
* https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q1FE7Miz0IJxultBtEq-VFoAcdz1UpxM3wfER4-qQGg/edit?usp=sharing
 +
* Pristionchus: Talk to Ralf Sommer and see if wee can take some of the pristionchus.org data into WB -> Ranjana; Decision: after more discussion, decided to hold off on this as the plan is to focus on C. elegans for the grant. Perhaps in the future, we can seek finding and collaboration with the Pritionchus community (such as Sommer lab, etc).
 +
 
 +
* Brainstorm on how wee can utilize other species data -> may be a separate grant
 +
* remanei (4 genome versions) and briggsae (3 genome versions) problem -> several versions of the genome. Same problem in parasite. Will need to address in the future. Want to have multiple sequence alignments so researchers can compare different versions.
 +
* Address c elegans version assemblies in the grant. LoS from authors?
 +
* Parasite has a new RNAseq analysis pipeline (not single cells yet)
 +
 
 +
= July 28th, 2022 =
 +
 
 +
Global Core Biodata Resource application
 +
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1juJ4mm1evay32lNt3OOsbKL36RY4_3cW/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106019143058337411488&rtpof=true&sd=true
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
= July 14th, 2022 =
 +
== Reference and Person Evidence ==
 +
* We need to know how best to move forward with ?Reference and ?Person evidence in the context of data exchange between WB and the Alliance
 +
* Does A-team need to connect those WB Persons to be able to populate data in the Alliance curation db ? 
 +
** If so, can it wait until we have proper persons ? 
 +
** If not, when we have persons later will the data be reconnected to Person objects ?
 +
* Where does data come from, which we call Person_evidence ?  Some forms ?  Direct emails ?  Other sources ? 
 +
* For author curation/verification, what evidence do we want to use?
 +
* Can we create Paper objects for the actual emails or other forms of communication (figure out details of when and what requirements), but keep Person_evidence for form submissions ?
 +
* How much will it muddy things to create Paper objects for emails, e.g. how will it affect NLP downstream, do we need PDFs ?
 +
* If we create personal communication References at Alliance only do we also want them as WBPapers, or will we just keep ?Person evidence at WB?
 +
* Are we okay with conflating Person data and Paper data in Reference at the Alliance.  That is, duplicating the same data as a Person and as a Reference.
 +
 
 +
== How to look up balancers (Df / Dp) in WB (PWS/Ryan Baugh) ==
 +
 
 +
= June 30, 2022 =
 +
 
 +
= June 23, 2022 =
 +
 
 +
Helpdesk tickets
 +
 
 +
SOba in Alliance
 +
 
 +
GCBR application due 8th Aug
 +
 
 +
Prepare for grant; nice pics for metrics eg https://pharos.nih.gov
 +
 
 +
Should Alliance gene & allele model have Clone/Sequence name as an attribute?
 +
 
 +
 
 +
= May 26, 2022 =
 +
 
 +
WormBase user survey
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
= May 12, 2022 =
 +
 
 +
==Subcellular localization field==
 +
* WB has 2 separate free text fields to capture anatomical and subcellular localization statements but obviously the boundaries are fuzzy, see the example below where the statement belongs to both- there are many examples.
 +
“miR-228 is expressed in the germline and preferentially localizes to the nuclear periphery.”
 +
 
 +
* Other MODs do not make such distinction.
 +
* Daniela is asking the group advice to see if there is any objection in merging the 2 fields and slot the paragraph descriptions in the  ExpressionExperimentStatement in LinkML.
 +
 
 +
* Decision: Keep just one field that will take care of both anatomical expression and subcellular localization
 +
 
 +
<pre>
 +
ExpressionExperimentStatement:
 +
 
 +
    is_a: EntityStatement
 +
 
 +
    description: >-
 +
 
 +
      Free-text describing some aspect(s) of a gene's expression, particularly
 +
 
 +
      nuanced information that is not readily captured in annotations.
 +
 
 +
      This statement's scope is limited to the associated ExpressionExperiment.
 +
 
 +
    notes: >-
 +
 
 +
      Inherits: statement_subject, statement_type, statement_text, references.
 +
 
 +
    slot_usage:
 +
 
 +
      statement_subject:
 +
 
 +
        range: ExpressionExperiment
 +
</pre>

Latest revision as of 00:56, 23 November 2022

Previous Years

2009 Meetings

2011 Meetings

2012 Meetings

2013 Meetings

2014 Meetings

2015 Meetings

2016 Meetings

2017 Meetings

2018 Meetings

2019 Meetings

2020 Meetings

2021 Meetings

2022 Meetings

January

February

March

April

May


December 1st, 2022

Data Type Flagging Pipelines and Alliance Infrastructure

  • We currently run the neural network algorithms at Caltech
  • What will we need to do to transition this to run on Alliance infrastructure?
  • Can we start to run the neural networks on a more frequent basis, e.g. monthly? Could that be automated?

November 17th, 2022

  • TEC_RED meeting. Meeting with Nikita Jahveri, Wouter Van de Berg (Gupta's lab). Participants, Valerio, Daniela, Kimberly, Magda, Stavros.

identified a large number of operons in C Briggsae. Baghwathi Gupta's lab. 4200 Briggsae genes identified with SL influencers. Want to contribute the information in WormBase.

  • Used WS279 for the annotations
  • they have excel documents with the location in the supplementary files
  • Magda: are the tag sequences unique? Nikita: yes. If they bind to 2 ore more genes that have classified as paralogs
  • Also identified isoforms (multiple transcripts tab in the spreadsheet)
    • Steps forward: need to update the gene models and the operon models on WormBase.
  • Can bring in data in different tracks.
  • Need to update gene models based on this new evidence
  • Nikita will send the data to Magda and Stavros (3 spreadsheets). Need to write out the categories.
  • they did not produce the GFF file, all in excel sheets.
  • Material used: mixed stage worm population

they have excel documents with the location

November 3rd, 2022

  • Booth at IWM
    • ACKnowledge will be showcased at the WB booth
    • Will also advertise Alliance

October 27, 2022

October 6th, 2022

Mangolassi

  • Mangolassi is down (network only?); Michael will be in the office in an hour
    • Start a cronjob to check for network connections? Already set up (Raymond)
    • Michael can log into his machine; Tazendra is OK (so, not network issue?)
    • Michael fixed it by unplugging and reconnecting ethernet cable (network card issue)

GO meeting next week

Alliance Literature working group

Persons

  • Are there more use cases to collect?
  • Some existing use cases:
    • ACKnowledge attribution
    • Community phenotype curators
    • When do people need person IDs? When accessing/using some forms
  • Content of earlier email
    • When someone asks for a CGC Lab code, they must have a WBPerson ID. To fill out some tazendra forms, I think they need a WBPerson ID. To connect Persons to Laboratories for their WB lab page. To track who is a PI for which Lab. To connect to other Persons for Intellectual Lineage. Connect authors to Persons so Papers have a list of authors in publication order, each author linked to the Person (ZFIN has two lists, sorted for authors, separate for persons). Our users tell us they use the WB Person page for their cv.
    • Use of Person Contact information: I think our use case for person information is mostly to have current emails for community outreach (ACKnowledge, community phenotype forms). It's been used in the past to send letters to PIs, so we could prioritize maintaining more information just for PIs. Some analysis is sometimes done by region / country, but this is rare. If anyone can think of other use cases for person data, please let us know. While we mostly only use the email addresses, Cecilia uses address / webpage / ORCID to connect authors to Persons, so having that data is important to make more connections.
  • Knowing address and affiliation can help disambiguate similarly named persons/authors
  • Questions about ethics of tracking information and person lineage?
    • Not really a new issue; people present CVs on grants and other contexts
    • Can be problematic to display people's email address and physical address, from a security perspective
    • Email addresses: if someone has a strain/reagent not in a repository, can be helpful to connect to access materials
    • We and others provide email addresses in publications
    • We don't currently ask for permission to display the information (email, address, etc.); maybe we should?
    • Should we have a survey to ask users' opinions about displaying this information? Is it worthwhile? Concerning?
    • Should we provide a waiver that people agree their information will be in the public domain?
    • Person form disclaimer: "Note: Phone and fax information won't show in your Person report for privacy reasons, but we are collecting the information in case we need to contact you. We keep old email, old institution, and old registered_lab data for history, please don't remove it when updating your information."
    • Person form is available to public and displays personal information, e.g.: http://tazendra.caltech.edu/~azurebrd/cgi-bin/forms/person.cgi?action=Display&number=WBPerson51134
      • Could someone scrape this information? Yes, person information is available from WB database dumps
    • Could institute a login; we had wanted to keep the barrier to participate low
    • Have 3 forms of privacy, where people can opt out of emails, hide their email address, or hide more information. If hidden it stays in Caltech postgres, and doesn't go to acedb.
  • Going forward, the Alliance can implement better security for person information

Aug 25th, 2022

  • Phosphoproteomic dataset
  • WB grant - the new and radically different format for a “Biomedical Knowledgebase (U24 - Clinical Trials Not Allowed)” application



Aug 18th, 2022

  • Raymond reporting on meeting with Scott Emmons and neural connectivity data

Aug 11th, 2022

Secondary species information content.

  • Gone through and counted number of objects in different data classes for all species
  • https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q1FE7Miz0IJxultBtEq-VFoAcdz1UpxM3wfER4-qQGg/edit?usp=sharing
  • Pristionchus: Talk to Ralf Sommer and see if wee can take some of the pristionchus.org data into WB -> Ranjana; Decision: after more discussion, decided to hold off on this as the plan is to focus on C. elegans for the grant. Perhaps in the future, we can seek finding and collaboration with the Pritionchus community (such as Sommer lab, etc).
  • Brainstorm on how wee can utilize other species data -> may be a separate grant
  • remanei (4 genome versions) and briggsae (3 genome versions) problem -> several versions of the genome. Same problem in parasite. Will need to address in the future. Want to have multiple sequence alignments so researchers can compare different versions.
  • Address c elegans version assemblies in the grant. LoS from authors?
  • Parasite has a new RNAseq analysis pipeline (not single cells yet)

July 28th, 2022

Global Core Biodata Resource application https://docs.google.com/document/d/1juJ4mm1evay32lNt3OOsbKL36RY4_3cW/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106019143058337411488&rtpof=true&sd=true


July 14th, 2022

Reference and Person Evidence

  • We need to know how best to move forward with ?Reference and ?Person evidence in the context of data exchange between WB and the Alliance
  • Does A-team need to connect those WB Persons to be able to populate data in the Alliance curation db ?
    • If so, can it wait until we have proper persons ?
    • If not, when we have persons later will the data be reconnected to Person objects ?
  • Where does data come from, which we call Person_evidence ? Some forms ? Direct emails ? Other sources ?
  • For author curation/verification, what evidence do we want to use?
  • Can we create Paper objects for the actual emails or other forms of communication (figure out details of when and what requirements), but keep Person_evidence for form submissions ?
  • How much will it muddy things to create Paper objects for emails, e.g. how will it affect NLP downstream, do we need PDFs ?
  • If we create personal communication References at Alliance only do we also want them as WBPapers, or will we just keep ?Person evidence at WB?
  • Are we okay with conflating Person data and Paper data in Reference at the Alliance. That is, duplicating the same data as a Person and as a Reference.

How to look up balancers (Df / Dp) in WB (PWS/Ryan Baugh)

June 30, 2022

June 23, 2022

Helpdesk tickets

SOba in Alliance

GCBR application due 8th Aug

Prepare for grant; nice pics for metrics eg https://pharos.nih.gov

Should Alliance gene & allele model have Clone/Sequence name as an attribute?


May 26, 2022

WormBase user survey



May 12, 2022

Subcellular localization field

  • WB has 2 separate free text fields to capture anatomical and subcellular localization statements but obviously the boundaries are fuzzy, see the example below where the statement belongs to both- there are many examples.

“miR-228 is expressed in the germline and preferentially localizes to the nuclear periphery.”

  • Other MODs do not make such distinction.
  • Daniela is asking the group advice to see if there is any objection in merging the 2 fields and slot the paragraph descriptions in the ExpressionExperimentStatement in LinkML.
  • Decision: Keep just one field that will take care of both anatomical expression and subcellular localization
ExpressionExperimentStatement:

    is_a: EntityStatement

    description: >-

      Free-text describing some aspect(s) of a gene's expression, particularly

      nuanced information that is not readily captured in annotations.

      This statement's scope is limited to the associated ExpressionExperiment.

    notes: >-

      Inherits: statement_subject, statement_type, statement_text, references.

    slot_usage:

      statement_subject:

        range: ExpressionExperiment