Difference between revisions of "WormBase-Caltech Weekly Calls"

From WormBaseWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
(478 intermediate revisions by 9 users not shown)
Line 21: Line 21:
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2019|2019 Meetings]]
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2019|2019 Meetings]]
  
 +
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2020|2020 Meetings]]
  
 +
= 2021 Meetings =
  
 +
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_January_2021|January]]
  
= 2020 Meetings =
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_February_2021|February]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_January_2020|January]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_March_2021|March]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_February_2020|February]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_April_2021|April]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_March_2020|March]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_May_2021|May]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_April_2020|April]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_June_2021|June]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_May_2020|May]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_July_2021|July]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_June_2020|June]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_August_2021|August]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_July_2020|July]]
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_September_2021|September]]
  
  
==July 9th, 2020==
+
== October 14, 2021 ==
===Gene names issue in SimpleMine and other mining tools===
 
*Wen: Last week, Jonathan Ewbank raised the issue of gene names that may refer to multiple objects.
 
*this can be an issue for multiple data mining tools including WormMine, BioMart, and Gene Set Enrichment.
 
*Perhaps have a standalone approach to check if any gene name among a list may refer to multiple objects (users check their name lists before submitting them to any data mining tool).
 
*Jae: The public name issue has heterogeneous natures. That means there may be no single solution to solve all those problems.
 
*Gene list curation from high-throughput studies, confusing usage of public names probably less than 2% (still cannot be ignored). See examples below--
 
**single public name is assigned to multiple WBgene ID, Wen has a list of these genes
 
**overlapped or dicistronic genes, ex. mrpl-44 and F02A9.10
 
**overlapped or dicistronic, but has a single sequence name, examples:
 
    exos-4.1 and tin-9.2 (B0564.1)
 
    eat-18 and lev-10 (Y105E8A.7)
 
    cha-1 and unc-17 (ZC416.8)
 
  
**simple confusion from authors, ex. mdh-1 and mdh-2
+
=== WormBase HD YouTube channel has ads ===
*One of the most significant problems is a propagation to other DB and papers of  these gene name issues.
+
* Is there a way to turn them off? Seems like we cannot remove them entirely
*We can make a special note for each gene page, but the people using batch analysis could not catch that easily.
 
*Conclusion: Jae and Wen will work on a tool that lets Users "sanitize" their gene lists before submission to data mining tools.  They will also write a microPub explaining this issue to the community.
 
  
===Wormicloud===
+
=== Form headers and footers no longer updating ===
*Please test and leave any feedback on the word cloud tool (Wormicloud), https://wormicloud.textpressolab.com/
+
* WS version number falls out of date; Juancarlos will manually update
*Valerio and Jae have worked on a tool that uses data in Textpresso; given a keyword, eg. "transposon", the tool generates a word cloud and word trend.
 
*Any keyword can generate a graph that plots trends of occurence across the years in publication abstracts.
 
  
===Noctua 2.0 form ready to use===
+
== October 21, 2021 ==
*Caltech summer student will try using Noctua initially for dauer (neuronal signaling) pathways
 
  
===Nightly names service updates to postgres===
+
=== Next Upload ===
*Nightly using Matt's wb-names-export.jar to get full output of genes from datomic/names service, and updating postgres based on that.
+
* Probably before the Holidays, will discuss again next conference call
  
 +
=== Chen webinar ===
 +
* Good to have an in person meeting
 +
*  Paul will check if it can be done remote, too
 +
* Raymond, Valerio (community curation), Wen (Simple mine)
  
==July 16th, 2020==
+
=== Alliance literature group ===
===Citing ontologies and their versions===
+
* Ceri stepping down from literature group leader, as she took on the Blue Team PO role
*Came up in the context of the Alliance: It would be best practice to provide users with the list of ontologies used and their versions/date.
+
* Who can replace her?
*If WB ontology developers could make sure their ontology file headers (WB anatomy ontology, WB life stage, etc.) conformed to obo file header specifications, then it would be easy to pull in version and date information into the Alliance.
+
* Writing requirements, user stories and tickets is SME or PO responsibility? Probably PO
*Some useful links
 
**http://www.obofoundry.org/principles/fp-004-versioning.html
 
**http://obo-dashboard-test.ontodev.com/ (you can see that wbbt, wbls version metadata attribute is generating a warning).
 
**Note: OBO-foundry may not have been updated, but good practice to check your headers, anyway.
 

Latest revision as of 15:53, 21 October 2021

Previous Years

2009 Meetings

2011 Meetings

2012 Meetings

2013 Meetings

2014 Meetings

2015 Meetings

2016 Meetings

2017 Meetings

2018 Meetings

2019 Meetings

2020 Meetings

2021 Meetings

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September


October 14, 2021

WormBase HD YouTube channel has ads

  • Is there a way to turn them off? Seems like we cannot remove them entirely

Form headers and footers no longer updating

  • WS version number falls out of date; Juancarlos will manually update

October 21, 2021

Next Upload

  • Probably before the Holidays, will discuss again next conference call

Chen webinar

  • Good to have an in person meeting
  • Paul will check if it can be done remote, too
  • Raymond, Valerio (community curation), Wen (Simple mine)

Alliance literature group

  • Ceri stepping down from literature group leader, as she took on the Blue Team PO role
  • Who can replace her?
  • Writing requirements, user stories and tickets is SME or PO responsibility? Probably PO