Difference between revisions of "WormBase-Caltech Weekly Calls"

From WormBaseWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
(177 intermediate revisions by 8 users not shown)
Line 18: Line 18:
  
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2018|2018 Meetings]]
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2018|2018 Meetings]]
 +
 +
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2019|2019 Meetings]]
  
  
 
GoToMeeting link: https://www.gotomeet.me/wormbase1
 
GoToMeeting link: https://www.gotomeet.me/wormbase1
  
 +
= 2020 Meetings =
  
= 2019 Meetings =
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_January_2020|January]]
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_January_2019|January]]
 
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_February_2019|February]]
+
== February 6, 2020 ==
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_March_2019|March]]
+
=== Worcester Area Worm Meeting talk ===
 +
* Confirmed for December 2020 or February 2021
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_April_2019|April]]
+
=== Alaska software ===
 +
* Code developed and maintained by Joseph, but not long term solution
 +
* Raymond and Eduardo talked about taking it over
 +
* Why have a web application vs. a command-line application?
 +
** Wanted to make it easy, but also to capture meta data for WB
 +
* Should/will find out from Joseph about how hard it is to maintain the software
 +
* Maybe it could be taken over by Alliance, as RNA-Seq/Microarray meta data are getting harmonized
 +
* Expression working group working with Brian Oliver to have GEO take in more structured meta data
 +
* Array Express tried requiring more structured meta data, but authors stopped submitting
 +
* May be possible to build a form that collects meta data while simultaneously submitting to GEO in parallel
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_May_2019|May]]
 
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_June_2019|June]]
+
== February 13, 2020 ==
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_July_2019|July]]
+
=== Alliance Literature Group ===
 +
* Held first meeting on Monday, February 10th
 +
* Regular meetings will be on Tuesdays at 10am/1pm/6pm
 +
* Representatives from each group will give a brief overview of their literature pipelines before the group gets into details about deliverables
 +
* Question about centralized paper repository; group needs guidance from Alliance PIs on how to proceed
  
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_August_2019|August]]
+
=== ?Genotype class model ===
 +
* [https://docs.google.com/document/d/19hP9r6BpPW3FSAeC_67FNyNq58NGp4eaXBT42Ch3gDE/edit?pli=1#bookmark=id.7r3e8pg19rd8 Proposal]
 +
* Can aim to implement for WS277 but may have to wait until WS278
  
 +
=== Genotype OA ===
 +
* Will put documentation [[Genotype|here]]
  
== September 12, 2019 ==
+
=== WB All-Hands Meeting ===
 +
* [https://doodle.com/poll/7f65p4ba6d88ztzt Doodle poll]
 +
* Any thoughts at this point?  Still need to discuss with Hinxton, Toronto.
  
=== Update on SVM pipeline ===
 
* New SVM pipeline: more analysis and more parameter tuning
 
* avoiding precision (and F-value) as a measure (dependent on ratio of positives and negatives in test set)
 
* "dumb" machine starts out with precision above 0.6
 
* G-value (Michael's invention); does not depend on distribution of sets
 
* Applied to various data types
 
* Analysis: 10-fold cross validation
 
** Randomly select 10% pos and neg (without replacement) and repeat until all papers sampled
 
* F-value changes over different p/n values; G-value does not (essentially flat)
 
* Area Under the Curve (AUC): probability that a random positive scores higher than random negative
 
* AUC values for many WB data types upper 80%'s into 90%'s
 
* Ranjana: How many papers for a good training set? Michael: we don't know yet
 
* Can't reproduce old training sets (for old SVM); provide Michael better training sets if you want improved SVM
 
* If SVM still not good enough, Michael will work on deep neural networks (Tensor Flow)
 
* Michael can provide training sets he has used recently
 
  
=== Clarifying definitions of "defective" and "deficient" for phenotypes ===
+
== February 20, 2020 ==
* WB phenotype ontology has many "variant/abnormal" terms and distinct subclass terms for "defective/deficient"
 
* Have tried to create a logical definition pattern for these terms, but the vagueness of the meaning of "defective" and how it is distinct from "abnormal" has stalled the process
 
* What do we mean exactly by "defective" and how, specifically, is this distinct from "abnormal"?
 
* Definitions include meanings or words:
 
** "Variations in the ability"
 
** "aberrant"
 
** "defect"
 
** "defective"
 
** "defects"
 
** "deficiency"
 
** "deficient"
 
** "disrupted"
 
** "impaired"
 
** "incompetent"
 
** "ineffective"
 
** "perturbation that disrupts"
 
** Failure to execute the characteristic response = abnormal?
 
** abnormal
 
** abnormality leading to specific outcomes
 
** fail to exhibit the same taxis behavior = abnormal?
 
** failure
 
** failure OR delayed
 
** failure, slower OR late
 
** failure/abnormal
 
** reduced
 
** slower
 
  
=== Citace upload ===
+
=== Genotype ===
** Tuesday, Sep 24th
+
* We will equate superficially similar/identical genotypes for now
 +
* What if labs sequence strains later and find out more?
 +
* Labs will have to report strains and their sequence and we back-curate accordingly
  
=== Strain to ID mapping ===
+
=== VC2010 assembly genes ===
* Waiting on Hinxton to send strain ID mapping file?
+
* WormMine now returning double the gene count for C. elegans genes because of incorporation of newest VC2010 assembly
* Hopefully we can all get that well before the upload deadline
+
* How to best handle these "extra" genes?
 +
* We could make different species entries that specify the assembly version

Latest revision as of 17:37, 20 February 2020

Previous Years

2009 Meetings

2011 Meetings

2012 Meetings

2013 Meetings

2014 Meetings

2015 Meetings

2016 Meetings

2017 Meetings

2018 Meetings

2019 Meetings


GoToMeeting link: https://www.gotomeet.me/wormbase1

2020 Meetings

January


February 6, 2020

Worcester Area Worm Meeting talk

  • Confirmed for December 2020 or February 2021

Alaska software

  • Code developed and maintained by Joseph, but not long term solution
  • Raymond and Eduardo talked about taking it over
  • Why have a web application vs. a command-line application?
    • Wanted to make it easy, but also to capture meta data for WB
  • Should/will find out from Joseph about how hard it is to maintain the software
  • Maybe it could be taken over by Alliance, as RNA-Seq/Microarray meta data are getting harmonized
  • Expression working group working with Brian Oliver to have GEO take in more structured meta data
  • Array Express tried requiring more structured meta data, but authors stopped submitting
  • May be possible to build a form that collects meta data while simultaneously submitting to GEO in parallel


February 13, 2020

Alliance Literature Group

  • Held first meeting on Monday, February 10th
  • Regular meetings will be on Tuesdays at 10am/1pm/6pm
  • Representatives from each group will give a brief overview of their literature pipelines before the group gets into details about deliverables
  • Question about centralized paper repository; group needs guidance from Alliance PIs on how to proceed

?Genotype class model

  • Proposal
  • Can aim to implement for WS277 but may have to wait until WS278

Genotype OA

  • Will put documentation here

WB All-Hands Meeting

  • Doodle poll
  • Any thoughts at this point? Still need to discuss with Hinxton, Toronto.


February 20, 2020

Genotype

  • We will equate superficially similar/identical genotypes for now
  • What if labs sequence strains later and find out more?
  • Labs will have to report strains and their sequence and we back-curate accordingly

VC2010 assembly genes

  • WormMine now returning double the gene count for C. elegans genes because of incorporation of newest VC2010 assembly
  • How to best handle these "extra" genes?
  • We could make different species entries that specify the assembly version