Difference between revisions of "WormBase-Caltech Weekly Calls"

From WormBaseWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
Line 17: Line 17:
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2017|2017 Meetings]]
 
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2017|2017 Meetings]]
  
 +
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2018|2018 Meetings]]
  
= 2018 Meetings =
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_2019|2019 Meetings]]
  
== January 4, 2018 ==
 
  
=== WS264 Upload ===
 
* Citace upload to Wen, Tuesday January 16th, by 10am PST
 
* Upload to Hinxton on Jan 19th
 
  
=== Strain data import to AGR for disease ===
 
* Will begin to consider pulling in strains into AGR
 
* Will need to think about how genotypes are built and stored at other MODs
 
* We should encourage authors to include strain IDs
 
* Diseases are annotated to genes, alleles, and strains within WB
 
  
=== Curating phenotypes and diseases to strains or genotypes ===
+
= 2020 Meetings =
* Should we generate a ?Genotype class to capture genotypes without a known strain name? Or to capture relevant/relative genotypes thought to be responsible for a phenotype or disease?
 
* We could create un-named strain objects, that use a new unique identifier as a primary identifier and represent the entire genotype of a strain used
 
** Introduction of a new ?Strain class attribute of a unique serial identifier (like WBStrain00001) would be very costly to implement; would need to consider how crucial this is before implementing
 
** We can, instead, use new strain (public) names like "WBPaper00012345_Strain1", etc. instead of creating new unique ID attribute for un-named strains
 
* When curating phenotypes to strains, we will want to specify what is the relevant/relative genotype that is causative/correlated with the disease or phenotype observation
 
** Would be best if the specification of the relevant genotype used controlled vocabularies (when possible) and free text (when needed); would need to work out the logistics/mechanics of such curation
 
** Transgene-phenotype curation currently specifies causative gene, but would be more complicated for strains
 
* Alternatively, we could create the ?Genotype class to represent the abstract "relative"/"relevant" genotype thought to be responsible for the phenotype or disease, and annotate directly to that ?Genotype object
 
* ?Strain approach:
 
** Use strain if named (but important to know if the control strain is not simply N2)
 
*** If control strain is simply N2, causative genotype (and respective components) can be inferred from strain genotype
 
*** If control strain is not N2, causative genotype and components would need to be specified at the moment of phenotype/disease curation (by mechanism to be worked out)
 
** If no strain name provided, create "un-named" strain that contains the entire genotype provided by authors
 
*** Control strain issues above would still need to be addressed
 
* ?Genotype approach:
 
** ?Genotype class could represent individual instances of relevant/relative genotypes that are suggested to be causative for a disease or phenotype
 
** ?Genotype objects would be created with formal construction, with DB associations to each component object (e.g. alleles, transgenes, etc.) as well as free text descriptions (for components with no corresponding DB object)
 
** Such ?Genotype objects could be used repeatedly throughout a paper when applicable, but would likely not be used in any other papers (we would likely accumulate redundant objects in the DB)
 
* We may want to consider strains with same public name that have diverged
 
** Apply new strain names with prefixes/suffixes? Create new strain objects? Keep original?
 
* Need to determine how each AGR member DB curates phenotypes or diseases to genotypes: is each "genotype" a relative or absolute genotype?
 
  
 +
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_January_2020|January]]
  
== January 11, 2018 ==
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_February_2020|February]]
  
=== IWM swag ===
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_March_2020|March]]
* Eppendorf tube openers with WormBase logo?
 
  
=== Update on AFP Form ===
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_April_2020|April]]
*[https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1anFOFRK9Ida1UEvrXWf2OBAJ9F4xyU4lWJGy-qr6wRU/edit#slide=id.p3 In-progress mock-up of new form]
 
*[https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sS_uAjBJ2r5H90Lam62Ai0HunjwvfjnklkFNrDoNXeU/edit#gid=1929595460 Data type spreadsheet]
 
*[http://wiki.wormbase.org/index.php/First-pass_flagging_pipelines#Author_first-pass_form_revisions Curation forms info]
 
  
*Idea is to move from author flagging to author validation of text mining and data submission wherever possible
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_May_2020|May]]
*Goal is to flag all data types in a paper and either curate at WB or share with a group that does curate that data
 
*SVM flags and author flags can/will be used as filters in TPC
 
*Provide examples of what we want for each type of data to help avoid confusion
 
* Recognize entities automatically and show list to author
 
** Species, strains, genes, alleles, transgenes, etc.
 
** Ask to verify or add unrecognized
 
** Could show known/existing objects with checkboxes
 
** Possibly include unrecognized pattern matching objects? Ask author to verify if these are real?
 
** For strains:
 
*** Show recorded genotype for verification; maybe ask to update/modify if needed?
 
** For transgenes:
 
*** When author submits new transgene, send them to a transgene form, or send them an email asking for details?
 
*** Form could be for both strain and transgene
 
* Mapping data: still ask for? Maybe for balancers, but no one is reporting that. Could still ask if there's interest
 
* Maybe provide option for author to save their progress and return to the form later
 
* Phenotypes
 
** Ask for allele, RNAi and overexpression phenotypes with links to Phenotype form
 
** Also ask for drug/chemical and environmental perturbations (call treatment?); store as free text for now, accommodate with new data model when available
 
* Gene site- and time-of-action, mosaic
 
** Appears to be confusion from authors about mosaics. Should we keep this?
 
** Will keep gene site-of-action and time-of-action; leave unchecked (no SVM, yet) but allow users to indicate
 
* Cell and anatomy data
 
** Cell function ("Cell ablation (laser/genetic) data, optogenetics")
 
** Ultrastructural analysis
 
* Interaction data
 
** Genetic interactions
 
** Physical interactions
 
** Functional complementation
 
* Comparative genomics
 
* Gene expression & regulation
 
  
 +
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_June_2020|June]]
  
 +
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_July_2020|July]]
  
== January 18, 2018 ==
+
[[WormBase-Caltech_Weekly_Calls_August_2020|August]]
  
=== WormBase Tutorials ===
 
* May be good to get (possibly anonymous) written questions or suggestions after presenting
 
* Wen will have Skype call with Yishi Jin
 
* Micropublications
 
** how do we peer-review single experiment? No supporting information to corroborate a larger story
 
** Is the greater benefit of peer-review that the whole story is assessed by reviewers
 
** Do MPs help or hurt reproducibility?
 
** Larger papers may have lots of poor experiments that don't get much attention but still pass peer review
 
** Dedicated peer review on single experiment may be more rigorous
 
** What are the criteria/minimal requirements to micropublish?
 
* Concise descriptions
 
** SimpleMine has multiple descriptions output; people asked about the different types
 
** Yishi Jin suggested that we remind users to update manually written descriptions
 
** Showing last-updated date is important
 
** Automated descriptions relies on primary data; will rely on forms and community submissions
 
** Microreviews? Would want to guide authors what data we want; provide a template?
 
* Public/community education issues
 
** Users shouldn't assume that WormBase is comprehensively up to date
 
* Wen will also present at MidWest meeting (Ann Arbor, MI) in April and Boulder, Colorado in May
 
** Will assess topic interest ahead of time
 
  
=== New Cytoscape display for interactions ===
+
== September 3, 2020 ==
* Sibyl developed a new Cytoscape display for interactions, now live with WS262 release
 
* Simplified colors and subtypes
 
* Redraw button to clean up the graph based on what you want to see
 
* Play around and let Sibyl and/or Chris know about issues
 
  
 +
=== WS279 Citace upload ===
 +
* September 25
 +
* Local CIT upload (to Wen) Tuesday September 22 by 10am Pacific
  
== January 25, 2018 ==
+
=== New AFP datatype for curation status form (CSF)? ===
 +
* afp_othergenefunc (to capture gene function other than enzymatic activity)
 +
* Can wait a bit before adding to CSF; if there will be dedicated curation for that data type we may add later
  
=== UCSF visit report ===
+
=== GO annotation for description ===
 +
* Kimberly will look into 'male tail tip developement' terms for description
  
Questions from the audience
+
=== Migrate wobr1 server to AWS ===
*Is there a way in WB to pull out verified CRISPR guides?
+
* SOLR, WOBr, SObA, Enrichment analysis
*Single cell RNAseq from Waterson lab in WB? Paper is in WB, person-paper connections might be on staging, Kimberly verifying this. Gary W will put data in WS264. Comments from Gary on this paper:
+
* Working with Sibyl on the process
‘The main problem is that the authors can sort the cells into groups (corresponding to tissues, I think) and sometimes sort them into single cells, but it is hard to identify the tissues or cells. I think they found 29 groups, of which about 20 appear to be single cells.
+
* Will try migrating wobr1 first, as a test case
I think they have a website where they invite other researchers to make suggestions about how to identify cells in their data.
+
* May eventually move, for example, Tazendra
Currently I regard this data set as still undergoing analysis and I'm waiting to see if they improve the deconvolution and identification of the cells.
+
** Will there be drawbacks to doing this?
The RNASeq data from this paper will be going into the current Build (WS264) but I will not be adding it to SPELL this Build because displaying it probably requires more thought.
+
** Can we regularly ssh into Tazendra on AWS without issue? Costs for transferring large files
I'm not sure that tools for displaying single-cell data have been developed very much yet. There is potentially a lot of information if eventually all 959 or 1031 somatic cells are displayed!
+
* Don't yet know the details of the costs, but we can try and keep track
 +
* We should move into WB or Alliance AWS instances (or Stanford)
  
*List of fem-3 alleles excluding natural variants in WormMine, how to do that? The template should be fixed (checkbox)
+
=== WormBase talk at Boston Area Worm Meeting ===
*Is the increase of published paper due to an increased number of labs? Expansion of the field? Is there a correlation between the increased number of publications and increased number of labs
+
* https://www.umassmed.edu/ambroslab/meetings/bawm/
*One user found powerful to be able to use the Galaxy server to do analysis after exporting data from WormMine
+
* Meeting will be virtual on Zoom
*Can you do protein domain analysis with WormMine? Is the protein->motif precanned query the best option?
+
* Chris will give a talk September 23rd, 6pm Eastern, 3pm Pacific (probably first speaker but not sure)
*Enrichment: how to see which genes are expressed in a tissue or cell -> pointed user to the ontology browser
+
* Send topic requests to Chris for the talk
 +
* Current topics:
 +
** Micropublications
 +
** Author First Pass
 +
** Automated Gene Descriptions
 +
** Community Curation
 +
** WB Query Tools
 +
* Chris will ask organizers if others can join: post on WormBase blog? May draw too large an audience for the zoom channel;
 +
* If the organizers record the talk, we can post it on the blog and WB YouTube channel
  
=== Skype call with Yishi Jin and Sreekanth Chalasani ===
 
Participants: Daniela, Karen, Wen, Jin, Shrek
 
  
*Not all images available due to publisher agreement -> not clear to users, we should put a disclaimer somewhere
+
== September 10, 2020 ==
*Shrek: thinks gene expression display should improve => hard to figure out all expression patterns
+
 
*Images are identical -> example on the eat-4 expression page.
+
=== GO GAF Files ===
http://www.wormbase.org/species/c_elegans/gene/WBGene00001135#1860--10
+
* WS278 GO GAF is using the new 2.2 file format
**On the eat-4 expression page the problem is amplified as one picture shows 70+ neurons
+
* [https://github.com/geneontology/geneontology.github.io/blob/issue-go-annotation-2917-gaf-2_2-doc/_docs/go-annotation-file-gaf-format-22.md Specifications]
**We should remove the image column and have links to images only on the panel above (as currently displayed)
+
* GO will not be emitting GAF 2.2 until the end of the year (will try to get a fixed date)
**The image column should be replaced with reagent and description, if possible. Will need to talk to Sibyl and see what is duable.
+
* Implications for gene descriptions, but what about other tools, applications at WB?
**Shrek and Jin feel the most important info is the reagent, and that should be displayed on the gene page/expression widget
+
* Some errors in the current WS278 GAF, but will get fixed soon
*Shrek pointed out that the eat-4 concise description is out of date, we explained that in the near future the manual descriptions will be superseded by automatic descriptions
+
** Impacts gene descriptions for WS278, so using WS277 for now; will be OK once source GAF is fixed
*Neuron connectivity: missing neuron connectivity pages, there is a new reconstruction of neuroanatomy from david hall, would be great to integrate
+
 
 +
===Disease files on FTP===
 +
*No changes for WS278 FTP files, except an extra custom file that Hinxton is producing mostly for gene descriptions so that we don't get the wrong human diseases via poor orthology calls (see GitHub issue https://github.com/WormBase/website/issues/7839)
 +
*Will be some consolidation of disease data possibly for WS279 FTP files, implications for downstream tools--gene descriptions, WOBR, ??
 +
 
 +
=== WormBase talk at Worcester Area Worm Meeting ===
 +
* Chris set to give talk on December 1st, 2020, via Zoom, 4pm (or 4:30pm) EST / 1pm Pacific
 +
* 30 minute slot; complementary to BAWM talk?
 +
* WormBase members can attend
 +
 
 +
=== WormBase talk at Boston Area Worm Meeting ===
 +
* https://www.umassmed.edu/ambroslab/meetings/bawm/
 +
* Chris will give a talk September 23rd (< 2 weeks), 6pm Eastern, 3pm Pacific (probably first speaker but not sure)
 +
* WormBase members can attend; Zoom link will be sent next Monday
 +
 
 +
=== Worm Anatomy Ontology Fixes ===
 +
* Raymond working on addressing warnings and errors (missing definitions, duplicate labels, duplicate definitions)
 +
* Assessing the best way to address them
 +
* Would be good to be able to automate some edits; options:
 +
** Use OWL API (need someone proficient in coding with OWL API)
 +
** Convert to OBO, programmatically edit, convert back to OWL?
 +
** Use Cellfie plugin for Protege?
 +
** Should discuss with Nico once we have a sense as to what changes need to be made
 +
 
 +
=== Dead Variations in Postgres ===
 +
* Currently pulling in variations/alleles from Postgres to populate "allele" and "genetic perturbation" categories in Textpresso
 +
* Noticed that many transgene names were being included, which can result in false positives for the categories
 +
* Looking at Postgres table "obo_data_variation", there are ~100,000 entries, ~40,000 with status "Dead" and ~60,000 with status "Live"
 +
* Trying to determine the history of the "Dead" variations, where most of the transgene names are coming from
 +
* May still want to include "Dead" variations/alleles in Textpresso category for historical reasons
 +
* We could use pattern matching to filter out transgene names
 +
* Possible to search C. elegans corpus for all "real" allele public names in the "Dead" set to see if they should still be included in categories
 +
 
 +
=== WS279 Citace Upload ===
 +
* Local Caltech upload to Spica, Tuesday September 22, 10am Pacific
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== September 17, 2020 ==
 +
 
 +
=== Species errors in CITace ===
 +
* Wen is reviewing species coming from CIT and will send individual curators lists of species that need correction
 +
 
 +
=== Webinars ===
 +
* We could perform a general WormBase webinar to cover all of WormBase, maybe one hour long
 +
* Allow 20-30 minutes for discussion? Can allow interruptions but plan for one hour
 +
* Follow up with more specific webinars in following months: JBrowse, WormMine, Micropublication, AFP, Textpresso Central, Ontology browser & Enrichment tools, SPELL, ParaSite BioMart
 +
* Chris and Wen can discuss how to setup
 +
* Should we have people register? Maybe
 +
* AFP probably doesn't need an hour; maybe split an hour across micropublications and AFP?
 +
 
 +
=== Transcription factors and regulatory networks ===
 +
* Had another question about TFs, asking for common TFs for a list of genes
 +
* An issue is that the TF binding data we have is in disparate forms, trying to reconcile
 +
* We have a ?Transcription_factor class; it would be good to update and integrate with other related data types
 +
 
 +
=== Alzheimer's disease portal ===
 +
* Funding has been awarded for Alzheimer's research
 +
* Ranjana: should the disease working group consider more about an Alliance Alzheimer's disease portal?
 +
* Paul S: Alliance SAB tomorrow; we'll see what the SAB says
 +
* Can look at other resources like RGD disease portals and Reactome disease-related pathway models
 +
* Ruth Lovering is doing some work in this regard
 +
 
 +
=== GO meeting ===
 +
* All are welcome to attend
 +
* Will discuss GAF format changes, etc.
 +
* Ranjana: should she and Valerio attend to learn about GO changes that affect the gene descriptions pipeline?
 +
** Kimberly: there could be a particular breakout group that Ranjana and Valerio could attend to discuss
 +
 
 +
=== New GAF 2.2 file ===
 +
* Kimberly has reviewed and sent feedback to Michael P
 +
* Valerio would like to stay in the loop to test the new files
 +
 
 +
=== Data mining tool comparison sheet ===
 +
* https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vBTDBOKfXn9GcdpF1bXI62VEJ7hwyz2hOyAZcoV1_ng/edit?usp=sharing
 +
* Needs an update
 +
* Could we make this available to users? A link in the Tools menu?
 +
* Is this useful to users? Would they understand it? Maybe be better as a curator resource
 +
* Could this be micropublished?
 +
** Possible; may want to consider a series of publications with videos of webinars, etc.

Latest revision as of 16:39, 17 September 2020

Previous Years

2009 Meetings

2011 Meetings

2012 Meetings

2013 Meetings

2014 Meetings

2015 Meetings

2016 Meetings

2017 Meetings

2018 Meetings

2019 Meetings



2020 Meetings

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August


September 3, 2020

WS279 Citace upload

  • September 25
  • Local CIT upload (to Wen) Tuesday September 22 by 10am Pacific

New AFP datatype for curation status form (CSF)?

  • afp_othergenefunc (to capture gene function other than enzymatic activity)
  • Can wait a bit before adding to CSF; if there will be dedicated curation for that data type we may add later

GO annotation for description

  • Kimberly will look into 'male tail tip developement' terms for description

Migrate wobr1 server to AWS

  • SOLR, WOBr, SObA, Enrichment analysis
  • Working with Sibyl on the process
  • Will try migrating wobr1 first, as a test case
  • May eventually move, for example, Tazendra
    • Will there be drawbacks to doing this?
    • Can we regularly ssh into Tazendra on AWS without issue? Costs for transferring large files
  • Don't yet know the details of the costs, but we can try and keep track
  • We should move into WB or Alliance AWS instances (or Stanford)

WormBase talk at Boston Area Worm Meeting

  • https://www.umassmed.edu/ambroslab/meetings/bawm/
  • Meeting will be virtual on Zoom
  • Chris will give a talk September 23rd, 6pm Eastern, 3pm Pacific (probably first speaker but not sure)
  • Send topic requests to Chris for the talk
  • Current topics:
    • Micropublications
    • Author First Pass
    • Automated Gene Descriptions
    • Community Curation
    • WB Query Tools
  • Chris will ask organizers if others can join: post on WormBase blog? May draw too large an audience for the zoom channel;
  • If the organizers record the talk, we can post it on the blog and WB YouTube channel


September 10, 2020

GO GAF Files

  • WS278 GO GAF is using the new 2.2 file format
  • Specifications
  • GO will not be emitting GAF 2.2 until the end of the year (will try to get a fixed date)
  • Implications for gene descriptions, but what about other tools, applications at WB?
  • Some errors in the current WS278 GAF, but will get fixed soon
    • Impacts gene descriptions for WS278, so using WS277 for now; will be OK once source GAF is fixed

Disease files on FTP

  • No changes for WS278 FTP files, except an extra custom file that Hinxton is producing mostly for gene descriptions so that we don't get the wrong human diseases via poor orthology calls (see GitHub issue https://github.com/WormBase/website/issues/7839)
  • Will be some consolidation of disease data possibly for WS279 FTP files, implications for downstream tools--gene descriptions, WOBR, ??

WormBase talk at Worcester Area Worm Meeting

  • Chris set to give talk on December 1st, 2020, via Zoom, 4pm (or 4:30pm) EST / 1pm Pacific
  • 30 minute slot; complementary to BAWM talk?
  • WormBase members can attend

WormBase talk at Boston Area Worm Meeting

Worm Anatomy Ontology Fixes

  • Raymond working on addressing warnings and errors (missing definitions, duplicate labels, duplicate definitions)
  • Assessing the best way to address them
  • Would be good to be able to automate some edits; options:
    • Use OWL API (need someone proficient in coding with OWL API)
    • Convert to OBO, programmatically edit, convert back to OWL?
    • Use Cellfie plugin for Protege?
    • Should discuss with Nico once we have a sense as to what changes need to be made

Dead Variations in Postgres

  • Currently pulling in variations/alleles from Postgres to populate "allele" and "genetic perturbation" categories in Textpresso
  • Noticed that many transgene names were being included, which can result in false positives for the categories
  • Looking at Postgres table "obo_data_variation", there are ~100,000 entries, ~40,000 with status "Dead" and ~60,000 with status "Live"
  • Trying to determine the history of the "Dead" variations, where most of the transgene names are coming from
  • May still want to include "Dead" variations/alleles in Textpresso category for historical reasons
  • We could use pattern matching to filter out transgene names
  • Possible to search C. elegans corpus for all "real" allele public names in the "Dead" set to see if they should still be included in categories

WS279 Citace Upload

  • Local Caltech upload to Spica, Tuesday September 22, 10am Pacific


September 17, 2020

Species errors in CITace

  • Wen is reviewing species coming from CIT and will send individual curators lists of species that need correction

Webinars

  • We could perform a general WormBase webinar to cover all of WormBase, maybe one hour long
  • Allow 20-30 minutes for discussion? Can allow interruptions but plan for one hour
  • Follow up with more specific webinars in following months: JBrowse, WormMine, Micropublication, AFP, Textpresso Central, Ontology browser & Enrichment tools, SPELL, ParaSite BioMart
  • Chris and Wen can discuss how to setup
  • Should we have people register? Maybe
  • AFP probably doesn't need an hour; maybe split an hour across micropublications and AFP?

Transcription factors and regulatory networks

  • Had another question about TFs, asking for common TFs for a list of genes
  • An issue is that the TF binding data we have is in disparate forms, trying to reconcile
  • We have a ?Transcription_factor class; it would be good to update and integrate with other related data types

Alzheimer's disease portal

  • Funding has been awarded for Alzheimer's research
  • Ranjana: should the disease working group consider more about an Alliance Alzheimer's disease portal?
  • Paul S: Alliance SAB tomorrow; we'll see what the SAB says
  • Can look at other resources like RGD disease portals and Reactome disease-related pathway models
  • Ruth Lovering is doing some work in this regard

GO meeting

  • All are welcome to attend
  • Will discuss GAF format changes, etc.
  • Ranjana: should she and Valerio attend to learn about GO changes that affect the gene descriptions pipeline?
    • Kimberly: there could be a particular breakout group that Ranjana and Valerio could attend to discuss

New GAF 2.2 file

  • Kimberly has reviewed and sent feedback to Michael P
  • Valerio would like to stay in the loop to test the new files

Data mining tool comparison sheet