WBConfCall 2014.08.21-Agenda and Minutes
SAB 2014 / 5th - 7th October
- Collect ideas and a draft agenda here
- Wait to hear from PWS on advisors before booking flights etc
- Once confirmation is received, contact Kevin to discuss accommodation etc.
If This Then That (http://ifttt.com/) is a killer service for getting automated notifications on a whole slew of things. You can get notifications from a variety of services, sites and actions (called "channels"). The activities that trigger the notifications are called "Recipes". There is a GitHub channel and a whole ton 'o recipes. Very useful.
Here are some cool ones:
- GW - are there any contingencies if the Icelandic volcano Bardarbunga explodes? The UK Government has this document describing a worst-case event
- PS - leave it up to individuals - they may like to live for 2 weeks in UK rather tham make their own way home. The tickets would possibly be refundable under the insurance. I have no objections to going ahead with the meeting.
- PS - Peter Good will attend the SAB. We will get him up to speed on what we've been doing.
- PS - we will prioritise getting advisors from Europe. Val Wood, Nick Brown will be there.
- PS - Jonathan Ewbank has been invited.
- PS - several others are possibles but have not yet confirmed.
- PS - Kevin and Paul K have been working on inviting Euan Birney.
- TH - Paul K had a designer make some prototypes of a new logo.
- PS - I like the idea of a unified logo.
- TH - we have been considering the gradient shading of the logo.
- TH - we use the issue tracker as a web team to-do list. We mark 'done' issues as 'testing' and need you guys to look at these things and get back to us with problems.
- TH - we can't easily prioritise issues but we use the tags to indicate the importance.
- K - is there any way for people to be alerted to a specific tag without logging in to GitHub?
- TH - good question. There are notification setings for you to be notified by email.
- SC - is there a way to tell me if any issue with a tag is modified?
- TH - you can get lists of specific things very easily.
- TD - it would be possible with a bit of coding in GitHub.
- TH - I have added links to If This Then That notifications in the Agenda.
- Chris - UniProt wants additional information on genes from paper classification.
- K - we have data from papers and classification from SVM.
- K - we need to know exactly what they want.
- PS - they should go to the data in WormBase and get the information directly. We should discuss this some more afterwards.
New Database System
- PS - what is happening with the database discussions?
- JC - we are having regular phone conferences.
- PS - we could present something to the SAB or we could get a special group of experts to advise us at the right time.
- Raymond - Flybase has experience of moving to a new system. They may be able to advise us.
- BB - we are going live in September ahead of the SAB.
- TH - is the ParaSite SAB overlapping with the WormBase SAB?
Classes in Build
- GW - there were some Caltech classes missing at the start of this Build. Is it Hinxton's or Caltech's responsibility to check this data?
- Raymond - we check the numbers in our classes.
- JC - we don't check every class.
- Raymond - we will do all the checking here.