Pristionchus pacificus is a self-fertilising hermaphroditic nematode of the Diplogastridae family. Two notable differences between P. pacificus and C.elegans are the former's pre-hatching embryonic molt stages, and the dimorphism of its stoma structures. P. pacificus' life cycle is four days at 20 deg. Celsius.
The closely related species Pristionchus maupasi and P. entomorphus naturally occur in close association with Scarabaeidae and Chrysomelidae. P. pacificus has so far not been observed in isolates from North American scarab or potato beetles, but has been found on the Japanese scarab beetle Exomala orientalis (WBPaper00031139). The P pacificus laboratory strain PS312, used for genomic sequencing, was isolated in Pasadena (California, USA) and is available from the CGC.
Sex Determination: hermaphrodite
Haploid No. chromosomes: 6 (5 autosomes, XO)
- Mayer WE , Herrmann M , Sommer RJ (2007): Phylogeny of the nematode genus Pristionchus and implications for biodiversity, biogeography and the evolution of hermaphroditism. BMC Evol Biol 7:104 (WBPaper00030826)
- Christoph Dieterich, Waltraud Roeseler, Jagan Srinivasan (2006): [Pristionchus pacificus genomics: from genetics to genome sequence] WormBook
- Ralf J. Sommer (2006): [Pristionchus pacificus.] WormBook
- Ralf J. Sommer (2006): [Evolution of development in nematodes related to C. elegans.] WormBook
- Zheng, M., Messerschmidt, D., Jungblut, B. and Sommer, R. J. (2005): Conservation and diversification of Wnt signaling function during the evolution of nematode vulva development. Nature Genetics 37, 300-304 (WBPaper00025001)
- Genome Sequence (masked | unmasked | softmasked)
- Gene Models and Annotation (based on SNAP predictions from MPI-Developmental Biology)
- Pristionchus WormBase pages (including Orthologs / WGN/CGC-names)
- gene model corrections can be submitted to email@example.com or through the feedback links
- whole genome alignments
- [Pristionchus.org] page of the Max-Planck-Institute for Developmental Biology (including sequence retrieval / blast / Genome Browser)
- [genome assembly] at Washington University
- [WikiOnchus] Pristionchus Wiki (including the beginner's guide to the Pristionchus universe)
- [UCSC genome browser] for Pristionchus pacificus, Feb 2007 assembly.