Genome Browser Help
User Interface Changes in the Genome Browser
The Region Panel
- A new panel is now placed between the overview and details panels.
- The purpose of this panel is to facilitate navigation (see below), in particular zooming out.
- The sequence region in the panel is always 10X the size of the detail panels. For example if your detail panel is 20kb, the sequence region in the detail panel will be 200Kb.
- Rubber band selection is a new navigation feature that allows to use your mouse to move around genome.
- The navigation menu, navigation buttons, and clicking on the ruler to recenter all work as before.
- To access rubber band selection click on one of the rulers (but don't release the mouse button), then drag to the left or right to define the selected region.
- When you select a region on the details panel, a menu will appear. This menu lists operations you can perform on the selected sequence.
- Either select one of the menu items or hit the 'esc' key on your keyboard to clear the selection.
- If you click on the ruler without dragging, the details panel will be re-centered on the coordinate you clicked on.
- When you select a region on the overview panel, the browser will automatically reload the page with the details panel focused on the selected area in the region panel. The size of the region panel will increase to 10X the details panel and the selected are will be centered, if possible.
- When you select a region on the overview panel, the browser will automatically reload the page with the details panel focused on the selected area.
- Because the scale of the overview panel is very large, it it possible to select regions that are too big to display in the browser.
- If the selected region exceeds the maximum allowed segment size (2 Mbp), it will turn red and a menu will appear that gives you the option of loading the selection or cancelling.
Other new controls
- Cache tracks
- This option will improve performance by re-using images for the displayed region if you have looked at it before. This feature is on by default.
- Draggable tracks
- This feature allows you to drag and re-order the tracks vertically. The position of the tracks will be remembered on subsequent browser sessions.
- Show tooltips
- This feature allows the popup balloon tooltips that appear when you mouse over features in the browser. It is on by default.